Monday 8 April 2013

The Foreigner

Photo courtesy  by Anand Ashok (beloved cousin)


April 3                                                                                                                                                   time: 12:10 pm

I had reached Palakkad  by the time 12:00 struck in the big clock of KSRTC stand, and was moving towards the enquiry cabin of KSRTC. Behind the grill of the cabin there sat a “pumpkin man” (a person as fat as a  pumpkin). He was busy reading  a long sheet of paper. I interrupted his work and asked the man “when is the bus to Ernakulam”, He looked up to me and said “12:20” and again his eyes went to read the long sheet of paper
I sat on the chair near to enquiry cabin. I noticed a bus with red colour and yellow stripes with a board “PALAKKAD” heading towards my side as if it was going to hit the chair in front of the bus. The driver suddenly stamped the break and bus momentum came to a still. I noticed a dozen of people exiting the bus. It reminded me of the school days when the last period bell rang and we were running holding our bags  towards our bus to get a seat , the condition was same here too the people were exiting the bus and running towards the next bus before the other bus was about to leave the palakkad station/hub. I noticed a couple exiting the same bus from their looks, I was able to understand that they where foreigners. Their shoulders were holding luggage bigger than them. They directly went to the enquiry cabin and started to talk with the person behind the grill. Meanwhile i went to the nearby food stall to buy some biscuits and bottled water for my journey.
My bus arrived when my watch showed 12:25pm. I was running towards the bus hoping to get a seat but the seats were fully occupied as the bus had arrived the palakkad hub. With a disappointed face I saw the foreign couple got in to the same bus. His face fell when he saw that there were no seats vacant. The bus left the palakkad hub by 12:30. The ticket conductor came towards me and looked at me for some answers, I said “a ticket to ernakulam please “he looked into the ticket machines typed something and a slip got printed he toured it and handed it to me it said “Palakkad to Ernakulam” fare 106 I handed the money which was in my hand, and he told me “U will get seat when we reach trissur” which was two hours far.
I spend my two hours hearing to music, and at last the bus had reached Trissur. The people who were seated before began to empty their seats as the bus stop reached.  I choose a seat near to the foreigner.
                                                                                                                                                 
Time: 2:20 pm

We had 30 minutes halt at trissur, so as the bus driver and conductor could have their lunch. Even I didn’t have my lunch and thought the biscuits that i had on my backpack could help me cure my hunger. I searched my backpack for the biscuits, I took the biscuit out of the backpack took a bite, and noticed my neighbour looking at me, so offered my biscuit to him too.  He took one biscuit and thanked me for the offer. His wife didn’t accept my biscuits i guess she might not be that hungry.  The foreigner began to talk to me he told me that he was from New Castle and he was visiting India for a duration of 3 months. He took out his map and asked me whether i could suggest any good tourist spot for him. I told him some of the good places in Cochin. After his visit in Cochin his next plan is to visit the great Malabar and then trissur by the time of April 21st ,so as to see the great trissurpooram which is one of the famous festival of the state, and most foreigners visit trissur to just to have a glance at the festival.
He then took out the neighbouring state map that is Tamil Nadu. He rounded some of the spots he planned to visit. He rounded some place in cuddalore and some coastal areas. I was eager to find out why he was planning to visit those areas. He told me that he is planning to visit there because before leaving this country he should help the people in that area. There are some schools that requires new building and other resources, so he is planning to visit those places and help those who in need, he is cutting his costs so as he could save money to help them. My eyes grew wide when i heard this. I was so surprised that a British citizen still remembers the 2004 incident that which shook the world. Many people lost their life when the sea conquered the land. Destroyed all the resources and life forms that which came its way to stop it. The British man was trying to help the school and camps which were eructed for the welfare of the survivors which people of our country had forgot.
I felt a cold hand on my arm as it pulled me towards realty as he asked me for some pointers that I could advice him for his trip, and I told him “you have planned your tour really well my friend”.

2 comments:

  1. Da ur writing style z gud, u need to improve and alvaz before u post ur story alvaz refresh n check 4 any grammatical errors, as there are few in this 1. All the best 4 all ur future upcoming stories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharath...u r awesome.

    ReplyDelete